Monday, January 10, 2011

Bruins 4, Penguins 2: Five Minute Miracle

Wait, what?
"Big fucking win. Holy Shit"
-Casey, via text message
Truer words were never spoken. I got this text from my pal at the end of the game tonight, right after the B's put the finishing touches on a 4 goal 3rd period to beat the Penguins in Pittsburgh. Big fucking win, indeed.

After playing a piss-poor tilt on Saturday night and getting embarrassed by the Canadiens, it was looking like another long night. I was writing this blog in my head, ready to trash the team for their ATROCIOUS power play. I was steaming for 55 minutes of this game and just about ready to take it out on the girlfriend and/or dogs.

Then it happened: a goal. Then another. Then another. Then one more? I surely had to be in a drunken stupor. These assholes came back, but didn't blow it in overtime or get blanked in the shootout. They won - IN REGULATION!

They played well in the first, shitty in the second, and then shitty for 15 minutes in the third before goals by Chara, Marchand, Recchi (game winner, bitches) and an empty-netter by Campbell (who played his best game as a Bruin). If they could have the kind of effort they showed in the last 5 minutes and play the whole game like that, they would be a big problem for everyone else in the league.

And I'd like to praise Blake Wheeler. This guy played his ass off tonight and was motoring around, hitting like a motherfucker, and getting into little scrums. That's what I want to see. I guess he looked at himself in the mirror and was like "holy shit, I'm a big dude. I could crush people!" He played tough and physical tonight, and hopefully it will carry over into the rest of the season.

So congratulations boys, your five minute effort payed off. Get your rest because you play those silly Ontarian bastards in 17 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment